Friday 18 July 2008

Why I ran for election


This is a question I get asked on a regular basis.

On the right is a picture of me making a speech at a hustings event outside Avanti. My speech was about whether students are getting value for money in their time at the University of Birmingham. Although they pay fees of over £3,000 they still question the quality of feedback on their work, why they feel they do not get enough contact hours and why there are not enough core texts in the library.

I was a Student Rep and a Guild Councillor for history. Those were the kind of issues I used to raise. Now as Vice President I will campaign on those same issues and more.

My aim is to create a vibrant and responsive Student Rep system. Representation should exist at every level (from the lecture theatre to the Vice Chancellor's office) but it is in every school and department where students should feel empowered to be able to have an impact on the issues that affect them.

No comments: