Wednesday 11 March 2009

My Guild Council Report for March

It has been another busy month in the life of your Vice President (Education and Access). In an attempt to enhance accountability I have increased the number of blogs I am making. To date I have written twelve blog posts since the last Guild Council. I intend to keep this pace up and invite all comments, queries and suggestions. www.tommarleyvpea.blogspt.com

  • I have held a Student Rep forum and a Postgraduate forum recently to ascertain the views and concerns of those groups. Attendance was not as high as I would like though both were new and I am looking for ways to improve them in the future.
  • I was part of a School Quality Review team for the reviews of Theology and B Med Sci.
  • I attended the Scholarship Board and we discussed increasing the availability of scholarships for postgraduate students.
  • At a meeting of the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee I raised the issue of extensions for candidates in Guild Officer election. That committee is also taking the lead in preparations for the QAA Institutional Audit.
  • I have attended various plagiarism meetings with students who have been accused of plagiarism.
  • I was invited to a meeting with senior University staff to discuss contingency plans for any potential UCU industrial actions, including potential actions short of a strike.
  • I am now on the working group to revise the Code of Practice on Reasonable Diligence. We hope to have a new Code of Practice for the next academic year.
  • The Learning and Teaching Roadshows that are held by the Univeristy are currently underway. These are used to spread best practice across the institution and I attended the Engineering and Physical Sciences event to provide input. I hope to attend more in the future.
  • I have been coordinating the Guild’s delegation to the NUS Lobby of Parliament on 18th March. We will be sending over 10 students to Parliament to lobby MPs.
  • Work on improving assessment feedback continues. Watch this space for more info in the future…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I was invited to a meeting with senior University staff to discuss contingency plans for any potential UCU industrial actions, including potential actions short of a strike."

what are the unis contingency plans?
Would the guild take a stance? As it has in the past.